Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Demanding Some Respect

Though we are still working on the "catching and putting the halter on" , Julia gives me instructions as how to get the horses to safely move their hind end away from me.  The second day I was to work with them on this, Dixie appears to be lame and it was necessary for me to be able to lift her foot and see if there was anything wrong that I could help with.  I tried everything.  The minute I got close to her legs she stiffened up and there was no way I was going to pick her foot up off the ground.  Now she knew exactly what she was doing.  The farrier had never had any trouble picking up her feet.    I promise you under her breath she was saying to Gracie, "watch this!"  I had seen on a Parrelli video that if you pinched that callous on the inside of the horses leg they with simply pick their foot up and give it to you.  NOT!  I pinched that callous so much trying to pick her foot up that it came off in my hand!  Oh my GAWD! I broke my horse!  I'm really hoping that is something will grow back on it's own.  I hope it's not something they need!  When all failed, I gave up and went home and emailed Julia!

The next day I took the video camera up to the barn with me and I videoed the moving the hind end exercise, and then tried once again to get a look at Dixie's sore foot.  This is the video I sent to Julia so that she could see and understand my problem! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr0imEsCjPs

After you get done laughing, I'll ask you to notice how afraid I am of walking behind Dixie.  She has kicked at me so many times that I take a wide path when I go around behind her.  Also did you notice how far away from her I stand when I'm asking her to move.  I still don't trust her in the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment